1 (800) 246-0911 EnglishPortugueseSpanish

To renew or replace a green card you must file an I-90 application, if your card has expired or will expire within the next six months or its lost, stolen or destroyed.
A marriage green card is valid for only two years. You must submit an application form I-751 to remove conditions from your green card within 90 days before the end of the two year period. If you do not remove conditions timely you lose all status.

Green CardHow to Renew or Replace your Green Card

  • You must submit an application to renew your green card on USCIS Form I-90.  The form will ask you to provide such information as:

    • Your name (including any name changes, perhaps because you married or divorced)
    • Your address in the U.S.
    • Your date, place, and country of birth
    • Alien registration number (“A number”)
    • U.S. Social Security Number
    • Class of admission (that means the name of the type of green card you received — for example, IR-1 for immediate relative spouse of a U.S. citizen)
    • Date of admission (see your green card for the date)
    • The reason for your application (in Part 2; check box “F” if you have a card with an expiration date that you’re renewing; or box “J” if you are renewing the old-style card that has no expiration date)
    • Your parents’ names
    • City of residence where you applied for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status
    • Consulate where your immigrant visa was issued or USCIS office where status was adjusted.

    You must submit a copy of your expiring or expired green card along with Form I-90. If your name has changed since the issuance of your green card, you must submit evidence of your name change – court order, marriage certificate, adoption decree, and so on.

How to Renew a Green Card If You Are Outside the United States

If you are outside the United States and your green card will expire within 6 months (but you will return within 1 year of your departure from the United States and before the card expires), you should file for your renewal card as soon as you return to the United States.

If you are outside of the United States when the card expires and you have not applied for the renewal card prior to your departure, you should contact the nearest U.S. Consulate, USCIS office, or U.S. port of entry before attempting to file Form I-90 for a renewal green card.  

When to Renew a Green Card

You should renew your green card if you are a permanent resident with a Form I-551 valid for 10 years and the card is either expired or will expire within the next 6 months.

Note: If you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring, these instructions do not apply to you. In that case, you must use Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence, to apply to remove the conditions on your permanent resident status. For more information, see our Conditional Permanent Residence webpage.

Visas: Immigrant / Nonimmigrant

Federal Immigration Law Requires:

Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) states, “Every alien in the United States . . . shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations . . ..” It also says, “Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him . . .. Any alien who fails to comply with [these provisions] shall be guilty of a misdemeanor  …” The specific requirements and procedures for applying to renew an expiring green card are contained in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR section 264.5.

help desk software